Monday, December 29, 2008

The Comparitive Genius of Football and Futbol


I was wearing my sad face all day after my beloved Steelers' field general did a full-blown skull plant on Sunday. The tender ministrations of two Browns' defenders left Big Ben with a moderate concussion right before the playoffs. I know, I know: They have a bye week coming up and lots of time for recuperation, but I like to get my brooding and mourning out of the way early, much like my wife buys Christmas presents.


An acquaintance of mine (is that an appropriately delicate way of differentiating between an imbecile I know and an imbecile I don't know?) told me that he didn't understand why American football players wear helmets - they're too ugly and stupid to warrant protecting anything above their necks. He then went on to extol the virtues of soccer, and even went to the trouble of educating me on the correct spelling, application, and etymology of the futbol. Really, it was quite a soul-stirring performance. I like soccer, but there are lines one doesn't cross with me... and football is all of them.

I would have been at a loss if it weren't for this great article I happened to recall, where a famous European footballer describes the intricate strategy inherent in his beloved "beautiful game":


Fussball ist wie Schach, nur ohne Würfel. (Football is like chess, only
without the dice.) -Lukas Podolski

Good news for the Steelers: Roethlisberger flashed a thumbs-up as they carted him off the field on Sunday. Good news for the Browns: Other fingers were used as the Browns carted their newly-fired head coach out of his office the next day.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

2 browns defenders at a time lol! this is the only thing the **** browns did as a team all season! Go Stillahz!!!